Dingo the Dissident

THE BLOG OF DISQUIET : Qweir Notions, an uncommonplace-book from the Armpit of Diogenes, binge-thinker jottings since 2008 .

Wednesday 29 July 2015

Why don't doctors tell you what you need to know ?

I was not told about what happens after a cataract operation,
certainly not about the common complication of
Posterior Capsule Opacification - which has much the same effect
as cataract.  I have it in both eyes.

Nor had I heard of the not-uncommon, messy complication
following 'deep' surgery such as I have had recently
on my femur : seroma - which I now have
and which may last several months.

Before we sign the consent forms for operations
we should ask for a print-out of common complications,
and a time-line for recovery from them as well as
from the operation.  But we don't.

And such basic courtesy by doctors will not be offered us.

No comments: